Here's an example of that: in the US, we're currently divided between the "red" conservatives and the "blue" liberals. Those colors have nothing to do with Spiral Dynamics, but conservatives are basically of the Red warlike and Blue religious memes. Whereas liberals are of the Orange scientific and Green socially conscious memes. And each side thinks the other is nuts.
- Do you have trouble getting some coaching concepts? (Like recognizing perfection in every situation or knowing that people are doing their very best, even when they're not. I don't mean intellectually, I mean really get it. That definitely requires Yellow Meme thinking)
- Do you feel uncomfortable with business and marketing, or with making money? ('cause that's Orange Meme territory - Remember, Yellow Memes appreciate all levels of thinking.)
- Do you have a problem with competition? (you need to make peace with Orange Meme thinking)
- Do you believe there can be no heirarchies and no absolutes? (Except the absolute that there are no absolutes? If so, you are definitely at Green and will have a big problem with Blue thinking)
- Do your biases get in the way of your coachng many clients and do you get annoyed with people, because you know they are wrong? (then you are stuck in the first tier)
How do you make the shift to Second Tier thinking? Ah, that's where coaches come in! That's what we're in the business of: Helping people shift up to the Second Tier!
My prediction is that Green Meme coaches will have more difficulties with their career than will Yellow Meme (and higher) coaches. And it's a BIG shift. No wonder becoming a coach is such a huge transition!
Copyright, Julia Stewart, 2005